Divorce Lawyers in Pierce & Kitsap Counties, WA
If you’re considering a divorce or your spouse has asked for one, then contacting a divorce lawyer should be one of your first actions. Even if the divorce seems like a natural and amiable choice for both people involved, when it comes to your financial assets, wills, and your children, you don’t want to make mistakes. Having an expert to turn to for advice and guidance can greatly reduce stress at this time and in the future.
The divorce attorneys at Whalley Law will work hard to ensure your divorce is settled outside of court. However, if an agreement cannot be reached, we can represent your interests and offer our experience and diligence to help you gain a favorable outcome. For a reputable divorce lawyer in Tacoma or Port Orchard, get in touch with our law office today.
Know your rights in a divorce
Divorce laws differ from state to state, so what we think we know about the law may not be accurate. As your divorce attorney, we can help you understand what each partner is entitled to by law, including what portion of marital assets, pensions and/or social security. In this way, you will be better protected during the divorce. As your legal representatives, we always have your best interest at heart.
Communicating on your behalf
Divorce can be messy, emotional, and difficult. Sometimes, it’s best if you no longer see your spouse during the divorce process. To avoid arguments, fighting, and other nastiness, our divorce attorneys can communicate on your behalf with your spouse’s lawyer. Of course, we will never agree to anything that you do not approve of beforehand.
Speed up your divorce
If you want a divorce and your spouse is dragging their heels, the divorce process can end up taking much longer than necessary costing you time, money, and added stress. Reaching out to a divorce lawyer immediately can ensure the divorce process goes as quickly as possible. Our attorney can help you with divorce requirements and help come up with a settlement faster.
Types of divorce
There’s not just one way to get a divorce and understanding the differences can help speed up the process. A few different types of divorces include:
- Collaborative divorce: This is the best option to ensure your divorce is negotiated and settled fairly. Each spouse hires their own divorce lawyer to represent your individual interests. Each of you agrees to disclose the necessary information for fair negotiation and you’ll meet together with your lawyers to discuss settlement. This process is done in cooperation, however, if a settlement cannot be reached then your case will have to go to trial
- Contested divorce: This is when you and your spouse cannot come to an agreement on child custody, property, and other assets. Arguments are regular and tensions are high. You’ll have to take your case to a judge and go through hearings to try to resolve the divorce. If it still cannot be settled, then you will have to go to a court trial
- Uncontested divorce: The easiest form of divorce. You and your spouse work together to come to an agreement on the terms of the divorce. Together you file the required court papers and there will be no formal trial
- Military divorce: When one or more spouses are in the military, special considerations can apply to divorce proceedings. We also offer a military discount.
At Whalley Law, our goal is to help you by answering all of your questions and informing you of your rights. The process of analyzing and determining the separation of assets, finances, and child custody or support may be a long process. We look over all of the information you present to us and work directly with you to find the best approach possible
- We Are Caring To Your Needs
- Free Consultations Offered
- Competitively Priced
- Phones Answered 24 Hours a Day
- Tacoma Native Attorneys